Monday - May 11, 2015

From: Elgin, TX
Topic: Poisonous Plants, Trees
Title: Fruit and nut trees safe for horses.

QUESTION:

My husband and I just moved to Elgin. We have always wanted to grow fruit/nut baring trees but didn't take in to consideration that horses might eat them. We have never had land or horses before, so we are learning a lot. What can we plant that the horses won't eat?

ANSWER:

Horses are likely to browse on leaves and bark and to rub on just about any tree within their reach, especially if they're bored.  You will need to erect horse-proof barriers around any young trees you plant.  

You should not plant cherries, peaches, apricots or plums anywhere near where you plan to keep horses.  Nor should you ever feed the foliage of these trees to your horses.  Likewise, you should not grown Black Walnut anywhere near horses.  However, Pecan is safe for horses, though horses may not be safe for young pecans.  For a much more thorough discussion, there are any number of lists of trees and other plants toxic to horses published on-line.