Suppport the plant database you love!

Saturday - May 16, 2015

From: Wimberley, TX
Topic: Problem Plants, Turf, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Controlling weeds in Habiturf lawn

QUESTION:

What's the best way to get rid of weeds in a Habiturf lawn? Habiturf seems like a great idea, but even with no extra water and no fertilizer, it seems the weeds take over - K.R. Bluestem and various broadleaf weeds. Thanks.

ANSWER:

We have been blessed this year with adequate rainfall—sometimes more than adequate.   It is great for all plants, but with your Habiturf lawn it creates lots of weeds that can out-compete the buffalo, blue grama and curly mesquite of the mix. I am sorry you are having to fight the weeds in your Habiturf, but I'm NOT sorry we are finally receiving good rainfall.

The best way to remove weeds/unwanted plants from Habiturf is the pull them up early and be persistent.  There is a possibiliy of using a broadleaf herbicide on non-grass weeds, but the only way to rid your lawn of KR Bluestem and other grasses is to pull them up.   Any herbicide that would kill them would also kill the Habiturf grasses.

If you haven't already read all the instructions for establishing your Habiturf Lawn, then you should visit the site on our webpage.  In particular, read the following "Warning".

"Warning.

* If you do not prepare the soil adequately, your lawn will suffer and you will get weeds
* If you mow too often and too short, you will get weeds
* If you over-water, you will get weeds
* If you over-fertilize, you will get big weeds"