Thursday - February 19, 2015

From: Galveston , TX
Topic: Pests, Trees
Title: Insect damage to Meyer lemon in Texas

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I have a Meyer Lemon tree in Galveston. It produced a lot of lemons. However, something has bit up to quarter sized holes from the side edges of the leaf. Could you please tell me what kind of insect, etc. could cause this?

ANSWER:

I believe your lemon has been attacked by Sri Lanka Weevils (Myllocerus undatus).  These invading insects, sometimes given different names, were discovered in Florida in 2000.  They cut material from the edges of many plant species, including Citrus. The last item in this report further describes the insect and the damage it does.  Since I have not heard that it has been reported as far west as Galveston, I would suggest that you photograph the leaf damage (and the insect if you can find one) and send the photos to your county agent.  The agent can suggest the best way to prevent further damage to your lemon and advise you about methods to destroy the weevils.