Thursday - February 19, 2015

From: New Brunswick, NJ
Topic: Plant Lists, Herbs/Forbs, Wildflowers
Title: Plant Database for New Jersey

QUESTION:

How can I find out where certain plants will grow, for example, will Indian Mustard (Brassica juncea L.) grow in New Jersey?

ANSWER:

Indian mustard or brown mustard (Brassica juncea), an introduced plant, does grow in New Jersey and pretty much over most of the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii and Canada according to the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service Plants Database. They also offer a state search so you will be able to see the 13,917 results that they have for New Jersey.

And of course, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Native Plant Database on our website has the ability to search for just New Jersey native plants and has 2,195 for your investigation.