Monday - March 09, 2015

Topic: Soils, Shrubs
Title: Twenty year old Texas Mountain Laurel isn't blooming.

QUESTION:

I have 20-year-old Texas Mountain Laurel in a fairly poor, clay-type soil. It hasn't bloomed very well the last couple years. Can you recommend a fertilizer to improve the blooms?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants has three questions for you to consider. Did the plant flower well in the past? What conditions is the plant growing in? How have the conditions in your landscape changed in the last two years? new sprinkler system? new pets? heavy lawn fertilization?

I’m going to include links to three answers to previous questions concerning the non blooming of Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain laurel)  Note the growing conditions on the NPIN page to see how they compare to your growing environmment
SP #3064

SP #2060

SP #4156