Sunday - February 08, 2015

From: Elmendorf, TX
Title: Picture of Castilleja purpurea

QUESTION:

Can you tell me what the seedling for Castilleja purpurea looks like? Or do you have a picture?

ANSWER:

The only photo I could find of Castilleja purpurea (Prairie paintbrush) is a photo on the USDA Plants Database webpage.  It shows several plants with blooms but also several small seedlings.  You can see a photo of the seedling of the related species, Castilleja indivisa (Entireleaf indian paintbrush), on the Wildseed Farms webpage.  Also, there are photos below of the seedlings of Castilleja indivisa and photos of both species of mature plants.

Texas indian paintbrush
Castilleja indivisa

Texas indian paintbrush
Castilleja indivisa

Texas indian paintbrush
Castilleja indivisa

Texas indian paintbrush
Castilleja indivisa

Texas indian paintbrush
Castilleja indivisa

Prairie paintbrush
Castilleja purpurea

Prairie paintbrush
Castilleja purpurea