Thursday - February 12, 2015

From: Chesterfield, MO
Title: When do wildflowers bloom in the Texas Hill Country

QUESTION:

Approximately when do the wild flowers bloom in Hill country? I would love to see them. I know it depends on winter weather conditions. I have a short vacation mid March, was considering a trip there this year.

ANSWER:

The peak of Lupinus texensis (Texas bluebonnet) blooming is usually around the first weekend in April.  We don't expect it to be different this year, but it should be a very good year for wildflower blooms in general because we have had well-spaced rains and the bluebonnet rosettes are to be seen everywhere.  There should be a good showing of wildflowers of all sorts along with the bluebonnets by mid-March.

You can check several webpages in March with information about routes for seeing bluebonnets:

The Texas Department of Transportation in previous years has had a Wildflower Hotline beginning in March.  Check their webpage this March to find bluebonnets hotspots.