Thursday - February 05, 2015

From: Seattle, WA
Region: Northwest
Topic: Propagation, Groundcovers, Shade Tolerant, Ferns
Title: Growing mosses in the Pacific Northwest

QUESTION:

Can you provide information on types of Mosses as well as Microferns in the Northwest Mountain region near Seattle? I assume that Mosses and Microferns are more resilient to foot traffic (i.e.Cushion Moss) when compared to small evergreen groundcover, but I've read that its fairly difficult to develop a mossy turf in certain environments. Have any advice for growing either of these? Have any species in mind?

ANSWER:

The following web site gives much basic information about mosses in the Pacific Northwest.  More pactical tips on harvesting and planting mosses can be found here.  And a description of moss and lichen species is at this site.  We don't have much information on microferns, but checking with some of your local plant nurseries should give you varieties of small fern species available in the Seattle area.