Thursday - February 05, 2015

From: Akron, OH
Topic: Planting, Vines
Title: Will Bittersweet climb on a streetlight pole?

QUESTION:

Will Bittersweet climb on a streetlight pole, or does it need to be with a tree?

ANSWER:

Celastrus scandens (American bittersweet) climbs by wrapping tendrils around limbs or rough bark of trees in  nature.  It may climb on a streetlight pole if the pole has a rough surface, e.g., concrete, that it can fasten onto.  I would think that it would have trouble on a smooth surface of a metal pole.  Check some of the properties of Bittersweet on this web site.  Bittersweet plants can be purchased at this site.

American bittersweet
Celastrus scandens