Saturday - January 31, 2015

From: Pflugerville, TX
Title: Best date for spring bluebonnet blooms for 2015

QUESTION:

What is the estimated date range for the best bluebonnet viewing in the Hill Country this year (2015). I have guests from the north planning a visit and we'd like to pick a weekend with great possibilities.

ANSWER:

Generally, the first weekend in April is the peak of the bluebonnet blooming.   I think you could pick a weekend before or a weekend after that date and still have lots of blooms to see.  Because of the regularly spaced rains since fall of last year, there are a plethora of bluebonnet rosettes growing already this January around Central Texas.  If the rains continue on a regular basis into the spring, we should have a really good show this year. 

You can check several webpages in March with information about routes for seeing bluebonnets:

The Texas Department of Transportation in previous years has had a Wildflower Hotline beginning in March.  Check their webpage this March to find bluebonnets hotspots.