Tuesday - March 17, 2015

From: Cedar Park, TX
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Planting, Trees
Title: Pinus taeda (Loblolly pines) for a property in Van Zandt County, Texas

QUESTION:

I want to initiate a stand of loblolly pine trees on our property in Van Zandt County in NE Texas. Assuming the ph factor is within range, how do I obtain seedings for this endeavor? Any other advice?

ANSWER:

It might be possible to establish a colony of Pinus taeda (Loblolly pine) in Van Zandt County since they are shown to occur in adjacent Smith and Wood Counties and many of the Texas counties to the east of Van Zandt according to the USDA Plants Database.

You can check our National Suppliers Directory for sources of native plants in your area.  On  the  Suppliers Directory page click on the link, List All Suppliers, and when the list is showing, enter "Texas" in  Enter Search Location (City, State or Zip) slot to get a list of nurseries in Texas that specialize in native plants.  Many of the nurseries have a website listed and all of them have telephone numbers.  You should also do a search with "Oklahoma" and "Louisiana" as the search locations. 

I did find one nursery Bruce Miller Nursery Edgewood in Edgewood, Texas (Van Zandt County) that lists pines for sale but they don't specifically list Loblolly pines.

Probably your best bet is to check the Texas A&M Forest Service webpage for the availability of seedlings.  You can find out the contacts for Van Zandt County on the County Search page.