Thursday - January 15, 2015

Topic: Planting, Trees
Title: large tree suited for limestone site in Austin, TX

QUESTION:

I have a dying Chinaberry tree [35 ' tall; WNW corner of lot; at least 25 years old] that I am having removed. What native / adapted tree would you recommend to fill that void. I do understand that it will take a lot of time or a lot of money for another tree to get that size, but I would like to plant water wise and get rid of this invasive plant. We live on layers of limestone / bluestone in the Great Hills area of Austin.

ANSWER:

A good description of trees suitable for the Austin area has been published by the City of Austin. Large native tree species that will thrive on your site are limited in number. I recommend either Ulmus crassifolia (Cedar elm) or Fraxinus albicans (Texas ash) as being best suited for your limestone setting. If you have a pocket of fairly deep soil, consider Quercus muehlenbergii (Chinkapin oak) or Acer grandidentatum (Bigtooth maple), species that are becoming more popular in Austin. Quercus buckleyi (Texas red oak) should do well, but it is very susceptible to oak wilt.

Winter is the best time to plant trees. Tips on tree planting are on the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center web site. You can find native trees at local plant nurseries, such as Barton Springs Nursery and The Natural Gardener.

Cedar elm
Ulmus crassifolia

Texas ash
Fraxinus albicans

Chinkapin oak
Quercus muehlenbergii

Bigtooth maple
Acer grandidentatum

Texas red oak
Quercus buckleyi