Friday - December 19, 2014

Topic: Plant Lists, Water Gardens
Title: Specifying sizes of plants for pond edge plantings in Austin area

QUESTION:

I am working on a list of pond edge plantings for the Austin area that will be in the fluctuation zone and I have my list of my plants but I need to know how to spec the sizes and to make sure my list of plants are available. There will a large amount of material, should I specify bare root, plug, 4" pot, flats or 1/2 gallon containers and will this plant material be easily available in the Austin area? Some of the plants are Lobelia cardinalis, crinum americanum, tripsacum dactyloides. I don't want to specify sizes or types of plants that will not be readily available.

ANSWER:

We can provide you with information about nurseries that carry native plants in the Austin area.  On the National Suppliers Directory page, first select List All Suppliers.  When the list of suppliers appears, then put "Austin Texas" in the "Enter Search Location (City, State, Zip)" slot and click "go".  This will give you a list of nurseries in and near Austin.  Most of them have webpages and on a few of their webpages you can find a list of plants that they offer.  All of them have telephone numbers, however, and these telephone numbers are what you should use to discover the size and availability of the plants on your list.  That's exactly the way we at the Wildflower Center would learn what's available.