Suppport the plant database you love!

Saturday - December 06, 2014

From: Mount Airy, NC
Topic: Plant Lists, Planting, Shade Tolerant, Ferns, Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs, Trees, Vines, Wildflowers
Title: Plants for a moist, wooded area in North Carolina

QUESTION:

I am looking to plant some native flowers in a wooded area in Surry County NC. The chosen location is fully shaded beside a creek. The water table typically sets about 2 feet below the surface of the ground. I would prefer to have plants that will continue to bloom every year without replanting. Can you suggest something suitable for one or several seasons of flowering?

ANSWER:

Plants well suited for your site can be found by searching the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Native Plant Database.  I have selected the environmental criteria you stated and brought up a list of suitable plant species at that web site.  By browsing through this list you should be able to find plants that bloom nicely at various seasons.  Many of these plants should be available at your local nurseries.