Wednesday - December 24, 2014

From: Raleigh, NC
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Problems with Purple Heart in Raleigh, NC

QUESTION:

I was hoping you could help me with an indoor/outdoor houseplant issue. I have a purple heart, that lives outside in the summers and indoors in the winters. I brought it in a few weeks ago and am noticing large gray raised circles on his leaves, too large to be scale. It's causing the leaves to wilt and it starts with the leaves closest to the roots and moves outward. I can't identify the issue and don't know how to treat it. Thus far the internet has been no help in identification of the disease. I've had this particular plant for about 4 years, and I really don't want to lose it.

ANSWER:

Purple Heart is a common name of the plant Setcreasea pallida. It is a native to Mexico , and considered by some to be invasive. It is also known as Tradescantia pallida. Click here  for more info.

It is almost impossible to diagnose plant diseases from a written description, so I’m going to recommend that you contact the Wake County office of NC Cooperative Extension to find a knowledgeable person who can take a look at your Purple Heart and diagnose the problem.