Tuesday - November 25, 2014

From: Tucson, AZ
Topic: Privacy Screening, Shrubs, Trees
Title: Seven foot privacy fence in Tucson

QUESTION:

I am looking for a privacy hedge for a home in Tucson, Arizona that will be in full sun. Needs to be at least seven foot tall and low water and maintenance. Any suggestions.

ANSWER:

If you want a dense foliage in a tree that will continue to grow to more that 40 feet, consider Hesperocyparis arizonica (Arizona cypress).  If you prefer a smaller (but not quite so dense) plant, Arctostaphylos patula (Greenleaf manzanita)Arctostaphylos pungens (Pointleaf manzanita)Cercocarpus montanus var. glaber (Smooth mountain mahogany), or Artemisia tridentata (Big sagebrush) should be considered.

You should be able to find many of these plants at your local plant nurseries.

Arizona cypress
Hesperocyparis arizonica

Greenleaf manzanita
Arctostaphylos patula

Pointleaf manzanita
Arctostaphylos pungens

Big sagebrush
Artemisia tridentata

Whitethorn acacia
Vachellia constricta