Sunday - November 16, 2014

From: Saxonburg , PA
Topic: Meadow Gardens, Planting, Propagation, Seeds and Seeding, Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Planting a meadow garden in Pennsylvania

QUESTION:

I live in Saxonburg PA near Pittsburgh PA. I want to put a meadow garden in my back yard. We are building a home so there is no established yard yet just trees and weeds. Where do I start . What do I do? Any advice at all is appreciated. I can do wild flowers or different types of tall to small grasses. I just want it to be more natural than grass. Thanks

ANSWER:

We can offer you these detailed instructions as to how a meadow garden should be planned and planted.  In order to choose plants well suited for your area check out the Lady Bird Johnson Native Plant website suggestions for plants that grow well in your area.  The list includes flowering plants, grasses of different heights, etc.  It is probably too late to plant most species before Spring, but some might be suitable for transplanting now.  Check with your local plant nurserymen.