Thursday - October 30, 2014

From: Glendale, CA
Topic: Privacy Screening, Shrubs, Trees
Title: Need shrubs for a privacy screen in Glendale CA

QUESTION:

Dear. Mr. Smarty Plants I need to grow a tall hedge 15-20 feet minimum to block a condo complex which overlooks my back yard. I need a fast growing hedge which is non toxic to dogs and one which roots will not destroy concrete. I do not like. Italian cypress. Carolina cherry and Japanese yew were my choice and discovered they are toxic to animals I like in Glendale. California. Partial sunlight. Hard dirt Thank you

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants often gets questions about privacy screens, so he is going to refer you to a previous question  from your neck of the woods. Be aware that privacy screens don't really grow as quickly as you might like

One of the plants mentioned, Lyonothamnus floribundus ssp. aspleniifolius (Fernleaf catalina ironwood), sounds like it may be a possibility for your situation.

more images and even more images.