Wednesday - October 15, 2014

From: Greenwood, IN
Topic: Non-Natives, Plant Identification
Title: Houseplant identification

QUESTION:

Had a houseplant with leaves that were green on the top and purplish on the bottom. The leaves were velvety to the touch. Would like to know what it was.

ANSWER:

The focus and expertise of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America.  Houseplants, in general, are introduced cultivars so we are not the people to ask for an identification.   Please visit our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant identification forums that will try to identify non-native plants.   They will even accept photos for identification if you happen to have (or can take) one of the plant in question.