Monday - October 06, 2014

From: Allen, TX
Topic: Butterfly Gardens
Title: Plant that attracts butterflies, perhaps?

QUESTION:

What is that one plant/flower in your Center that attracts wildflowers like crazy? It's got a cute name, not a Latin or Scientific name. I have the plant, but don't know how to make it spread.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants is confused!   Do you, perhaps, mean a plant that attracts butterflies?  That could be Conoclinium coelestinum (Blue mistflower)Conoclinium greggii (Gregg's mistflower) or maybe some other plant like Asclepias tuberosa (Butterflyweed).  It would help us to have a description of the plant—size, flower color, bloom time, what type of leaves, etc.  We might be able to identify it with more information.

By the way, all plants have a Latin or scientific name—the common name or names, however, are usually a lot easier to remember.  Plants have only one "accepted" Latin or scientific name, but can have one to many common names.

Blue mistflower
Conoclinium coelestinum

Blue mistflower
Conoclinium coelestinum

Gregg's mistflower
Conoclinium greggii

Gregg's mistflower
Conoclinium greggii

Butterflyweed

Butterflyweed