Saturday - September 20, 2014

From: Garner, NC
Topic: Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Need native plants to place in chicken coop in Charolette, NC

QUESTION:

Hi, I live near Charlotte, NC. I'm looking for native plants that I can plant in my chicken coop that will produce food for the chickens. If they also produced some delicious food for me, I wouldn't complain! Thanks!

ANSWER:

In researching this question, Mr. Smarty Plants learned that common wisdom has it that chickens will eat almost anything; they are omnivores. They also seem to avoid things that are harmful to them, however there is a list of plants toxic to chickens  that would be best avoided in the chicken coop.

Another list, “Tilly’s top ten plants for chickens” has some plants that you might enjoy as well, but they are not all natives.

Hencam also has a lot of information about feeding chickens.