Monday - September 01, 2014

From: Buda, TX
Title: Is Tagetes lemmonii (Copper Canyon Daisy) native to the Southwest?

QUESTION:

Due to the continued drought I have resolved to only use native plants in my garden. Copper canyon daisy is be recommended more often at nurseries. The NPSOT lists it a native of Arizona, yet I cannot find it in your plant database. Can you help me determine if it is a native to the Southwest?

ANSWER:

Yes, Tagetes lemmonnii (Lemmon's marigold, Copper Canyon daisy) is native to to Arizona and Northern Mexico.   You will notice that it is now in our Native Plant Database (NPD).  We do have a majority of plants native to North America in our NPD but occasionally we wait until we have photographs to display with the species before we add them.  If you have photos of this species that you would like to contribute, please visit our Contribute Images page to learn how to do this. 

Here are photos and more information from University of Arizona Pima County Cooperative Extension and here are photos and the distribution map from the USDA Plants Database.