Monday - September 01, 2014

From: Pleasant Valley, NY
Topic: Non-Natives, Problem Plants
Title: Aggressive Plants in Pleasant Valley NY
Answered by: Larry Larson

QUESTION:

Are there any native plants that can out compete Japanese knotweed?

ANSWER:

Mr Smarty Plants has been chewing on this question a bit.  We are all about the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes.  Japanese Knotweed [Fallopia japonica] is an import from Eastern Asia and Japan and is renown for its aggressive nature.  As such, it’s both non-native and an invasive species, so it’s not in our records.

My first reaction to your question is “unlikely to no”.  These links from a search on “Japanese Knotweed” indicated that it is a highly successful invader that crowds out native plants and that it is extremely hard to eradicate.

Fallopia Japonica from Wikipedia

National Invasive Species Record 

Eradication of Japanese Knotweed Plants

And here is the report from the New York Invasive Species Clearing House

The end result of this is that all the experts agree that this is one of the most aggressive invasive species that is present in the US!
  I imagine that the question behind your question is that you have a small infestation of the stuff [I hope not!] and would like to control it.  The process suggested above is to regularly cut it down so that it cannot active spread further, limiting its growth.   It’s possible that some aggressive native plants, such as Campsis radicans (Trumpet creeper) might be competitive, but then you would have two really aggressive plants present and no relief indicated!

Still looking for a way to say “yes” to you:  Based on the really general nature of your question, we can go a bit farther afield in theory and note that Fallopia Japonica also has a range of territory and climates where it is acclimated.
  It is adapted to Coastal Asia and Japan. This USDA link illustrates that it invades a similar climate range in North America, and that it does not extend to Florida, the desert Southwest or to the frigid North.  So – The native plants that CAN outcompete the Japanese Knotweed are the cacti of Southern Arizona/Nevada, pure Florida natives, or natives to the Yukon – when the invaders vitality is compared to them in their own ecoregion! 

Beavertail prickly pear
Opuntia basilaris

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Saskatoon serviceberry
Amelanchier alnifolia

Saskatoon serviceberry
Amelanchier alnifolia