Monday - July 28, 2014

From: Lebanon, IL
Topic: General Botany, Shrubs, Trees
Title: Is Viburnum rufidulum monoecious or dioecious?

QUESTION:

Is Viburnum rufidulum monoecious or dioecious? Your database does not address this for most plants.

ANSWER:

According to the chart in Tree Sex: Gender & Reproductive Strategies from Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources, The University of Georgia, Viburnum rufidulum (Rusty blackhaw viburnum) is neither monoecious (male and female reproductive structures on the same plant but in separate flowers) or dioecious (male and female reproductive structures on separate plants).  It is cosexual or hermaphroditic (male and female structures together in the same flower).