Saturday - July 05, 2014

From: Rio Medina, TX
Topic: General Botany
Title: Forum for reporting rare plants

QUESTION:

Hi Mr. Smarty Pants, I was wondering if there is a forum for Texans to submit sightings of native plants they find? I live in Medina County and 2 years ago had a rare native plant growing in my yard and just found out what it was today. Thanks for any answer you could give.

ANSWER:

There are two botanists at Texas Parks & Wildlife that would like to know about your rare native plant.  They are Jackie Poole ([email protected]) and Jason Singhurst ([email protected]).  They are two of the authors of the book Rare Plants of Texas: A Field Guide by Jackie M. Poole, William R. Carr, Dana M. Price & Jason R. Singhurst.  2007.   Texas A&M University Press.  You might also want to notify your nearest chapter (in San Antonio) of the Native Plant Society.

You can see A List of Rare Plants of Texas and you can find a Texas Natural Diversity Database (TXNDD) reporting form.