Wednesday - July 02, 2014

Title: Non-native fig problems in Austin, TX.

QUESTION:

We have a large fig tree in our yard. It has been healthy since we bought the house in 2006. But in the last week or so, the leaves have turned yellow and have wilted. It is full of fruit. I'm afraid we are going to lose this crop, if not the entire tree, if we don't do anything.

ANSWER:

We wish we could be more helpful, but the focus of our research and the extent of our expertise are limited to those plant species native to North America. Common fig (Ficus carica) is native to Eurasia and Africa.  Your county's Agrilife Extension Service office should be able to help you with identifying the cause of the problem and perhaps with a treatment or solution.