Tuesday - July 01, 2014

From: Yancey, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Poisonous Plants
Title: Is Viburnum dilatatum 'Henneke' (Cardinal Candy) toxic to horses?

QUESTION:

Is Viburnum-Cardinal Candy/Viburnum dilatatum 'Henneke' reported to be toxic or non-toxic to horses?

ANSWER:

First of all, for the record, Viburnum dilatatum 'Henneke' (Cardinal candy) is native to Southeast Asia, not North America.  The ASPCA's Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants – Horses lists one Viburnum species, Viburnum lentago (Nannyberry), as a non-toxic plant.  No other Viburnum species are listed there as either toxic or non-toxic.

None of the databases below list any Viburnum species as being toxic.

University of Pennsylvania Poisonous Plants

Cornell University Department of Animal Science – Plants Poisonous to Livestock

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

North Carolina Poisonous Plants

University of Illinois Veterinary Medicine Library