Wednesday - September 18, 2013

From: Charlottesville, VA
Topic: Butterfly Gardens, Vines
Title: Purple Passionflower as a native in Charlottesville VA
Answered by: Brigid & Larry Larson

QUESTION:

Is it possible to grow purple passion flower as a perennial in zone 7? I am looking for hummers and butterflies to be attracted by the plant. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Looks like you're in luck!   I assume when you ask about Zone 7 that you are really asking "Will it thrive in Charlottesville".  In either case, most of what we store about a plant is either in its entry in the "Plant Database"  or linked to it.

Here is the database entry for Passiflora incarnata (Purple passionflower)

and, inside that record is a simple link for its USDA Symbol: PAIN6

Going to that USDA record shows a map of its distribution and you can click on Virginia, and see that the Purple Passionflower is found as a Native in and around Charlottesville.   So, you've got a great chance of the passionflower being able to survive and thrive in Charlettesville.

Then, just on the chance that you are asking also about some other nearby Hardiness Zone 7 area - - If you compare the Hardiness Zone Map for Virginia to the Purple Passionflower Distribution map for Virginia - It sure looks like it is found native in Zone 7 or higher and as you go up to the mountains in Zone 6, it is not found!

Purple passionflower
Passiflora incarnata

Purple passionflower
Passiflora incarnata

Purple passionflower
Passiflora incarnata