Friday - August 30, 2013

From: waxahachie, TX
Topic: Pests, Shrubs
Title: What causes rock rose branches to snap off?

QUESTION:

my small texas rock rose branches keep snapping in the center. What is causing this and what can I do?

ANSWER:

Pavonia lasiopetala (Rock rose) is a favorite small perennial that is both drought- and cold-resistant and does well in partial shade.  The branches are relatively fragile, especially when they are left to grow long (see attached image).  I suspect that some of your branches may have been broken by animals (including humans) brushing against them.  Pavonia's naturally loose, open-branching form may be kept more compact by frequent pruning, which promotes new growth and more flowers.  This may lessen the likelihood of branch breakage.

Pavonia at my house in Austin are a favorite with the deer, who usually nibble leaves off the tips of the branches, sometimes breaking them in the process. If you notice that the mature leaves are missing from the branch tips deer herbivory may also be a cause of your branch damage.