A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

waxahachie, TX
What causes rock rose branches to snap off?
my small texas rock rose branches keep snapping in the center. What is causing this and what can I do?

Waxahachie, TX
Part shade garden to attract hummingbirds in Texas
We are inexperienced gardeners. We have a bed (2.5' x 6') with sun in the morning and shade in afternoon and want to attract hummingbirds. Salvia coccinea sounds easy, but what else could we plant...

Waxahachie, TX
Source for Dioscorea floribunda or D. villosa
Can you furnish me with a source for growing my own Dioscorea floribunda, or , Dioscorea villosa?? Many thanks.

Ovilla, TX
Trees and shrubs that are not poisonous to horses
What non poisonous trees or shrubs or hedges would work for being near horses?

Ovilla, TX
Identification of tree in Ovilla TX area
Can you identify a tall,(wild?) tree covered with fragrant, pink/lavender blooms? Have seen several in the Ovilla area this spring.

Midlothian, TX
Making Tea from Croton monanthogynus
Do you have any other information on the value of croton monanthogynus as a tea? Nutritive value? Possible adverse reactions?

Midlothian, TX
Locales for photographing wildflowers in Dallas, TX area
My daughter has a project for school where she has to find and take her picture with 20 different Texas wildflowers and identify them. We have found some of the more common ones, but I was wondering ...

Midlothian, TX
How to combat weeds growing in mulch
Trying to decide on either ground cover plants, or some type of gravel. We have a new house where the builder has planted small shrubs in the full sun flower bed next to house. The bed has mulch at th...

Midlothian, TX
More on bluebonnets
I am flying a photographer in on April 7, 2005, for a special art project on Bluebonnets. We have 3 days set aside for the shot. Where are THE best places to capture Bluebonnets in the wild?

Midlothian, TX
Non-toxic Groundcover for North-Central Texas
I need a creeping ground cover for shade that is non-toxic to dogs. I had planned on Swedish ivy until I read it was toxic. Is Asian jasmine toxic? Or, do you have any suggestions?

maypearl, TX
Planting time for bluebonnets
When is the best time to plant bluebonnets?

DeSoto, TX
Identifying native grasses in DeSoto TX
I want to plant my 1.5 acre yard in a native grass; there are already some grasses growing there. How do I identify this grass? Thanks

Ennis, TX
Good website for identifying wildflowers
What is a good website to identify wildflowers? I have done Google searches and none of the websites seem to help. Where should I go?

Ennis, TX
Can bluebonnets be made into jelly from Ennis TX
Are Texas bluebonnet flowers okay for human consumption? I have seen recipes for wild violet jelly,so was wondering about making bluebonnet jelly from the bluebonnet blossoms if they are not poisonous...

Ennis, TX
Native plants for shade in Ennis TX
My house faces south. The southwest side of the front yard has a Pride of Houston, Japanese Barberry, 2 crape myrtles and some dwarf yaupon hollies. The other section, divided by a stairway to the p...

Ennis, TX
This plant will grow 12-15 feet or more in height in the rural areas of Ellis County south of Dallas. In a fractal manner, stems grow out of the stalk and then from the stems. The leaves are green, th...

Cedar Hill, TX
Butterflies and larval hosts in Dallas County
My class is starting a butterfly habitat at school. We have researched plants that attract butterflies, however we forgot to look for plants that feed the caterpillars and we want to provide the expe...

Cedar Hill, TX
Killing mesquite (Prosopis glandulosa) with propane torch
Can I kill mesquite with intense fire, such as a 1.2 million BTU propane torch? I know mesquite bounces back from cutting at the soil line. The trees are in Elgin. Thanks

Cedar Hill, TX
Why is Mentzelia oligosperma called chickenthief?
Could you tell me why Mentzelia oligosperma is sometimes called chickenthief?

CEDAR HILL, TX
Organic means for ridding garden of stinging ants
Dear Mr. Smarty Pants, I have a butterfly garden that is filled with native plants the butterflies LOVE! However I have a colony of red ants that have moved in. I need to trim some of the more inva...

Cedar Hill, TX
Flowers for sunny and shady gardens in Cedar Hill TX
Last year I spent way too much on flowers for my sunny and shady flower beds. They all died from the heat, even after constant watering. What flowers could I plant in sunny and shady flower beds that ...