Mr. Smarty Plants - Fence Vines for Austin, TX

Saturday - August 31, 2013

From: AUSTIN, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening, Vines
Title: Fence Vines for Austin, TX
Answered by: Larry Larson

QUESTION:

Hi, What are the best high density vine plants for coverage on chain link fence in Austin, TX? Thank you

ANSWER:

There are 15 Native Vines recommended for Austin [I actually used the recommended species for the Edwards Plateau Ecoregion]

Of  those,  these four are most notable towards your request for high density on a fence.

Vitis mustangensis (Mustang grape) is the vine you see draping trees and fences in the Hill Country, and would be good for your purpose.

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper) is cited as a vigorous grower.

Campsis radicans (Trumpet creeper) is another aggressive grower,   its invasive qualities have earned it the names Hellvine and Devils Shoestring. Its rapid colonization by suckers and layering makes it useful for erosion control.  [Maybe a bit too aggresive]

Clematis texensis (Scarlet clematis) is attractive for its red flowers and grows to a good height [It is relativelly non-agressive as compared to the above]

Mustang grape
Vitis mustangensis

Mustang grape
Vitis mustangensis

Virginia creeper
Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Scarlet clematis
Clematis texensis