Mr. Smarty Plants - White fungus-like growths on plants from Stephenville TX

Saturday - May 25, 2013

From: Stephenville, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Pests
Title: White fungus-like growths on plants from Stephenville TX

QUESTION:

What is a white fungus-like growth on plants in a garden? It can be seen on the ground in ball-like shapes similar to puff balls or on plants

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants deals only in vascular plants, which fungi are not, but we will see if we can find something online that might fit your description.

Okay, our first ventures netted us nothing, and then we had a wild idea. We kept thinking we had heard of something like that before, and it finally occurred to us that it was cottonwood seeds! Please don't be insulted, we really are trying. All we got when we searched on "white fungus-like growth" was a site on Asperigillis fungus which is a big problem for hamsters. We didn't find any pictures of that. When we tried "fungus on ground" we got slime mold. From Wayne's World, we found this comprehensive site on fungus.

Sorry we couldn't do any better - we told you we didn't do non-vascular plants.