Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of red-topped grass blooming in Comal County

Tuesday - May 21, 2013

From: Spring Branch, TX
Topic: Plant Identification, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Identification of red-topped grass blooming in Comal County

QUESTION:

I live in Comal County and right now (mid May) there is a beautiful, red topped grass growing along the side of country roads. It is maybe 1 foot tall, and waves in the breeze. Do you know what kind of grass it might be?

ANSWER:

The highest probability is Aristida purpurea (Purple threeawn).  It is truly beautiful and native. 

Another possibility is Bothriochloa ischaemum (King Ranch bluestem), an invasive species native Africa, Asia and Europe that is growing along highways near Austin right now.

Purple threeawn
Aristida purpurea

Purple threeawn
Aristida purpurea

Purple threeawn
Aristida purpurea

Purple threeawn
Aristida purpurea