Tuesday - May 07, 2013

From: England, Other
Region: Other
Topic: Non-Natives, Problem Plants, Cacti and Succulents
Title: Cat eating yucca stalks in England

Is it safe for my cat to eat yucca as she is being sick and its hard to stop her

Mr. Smarty Plants is ordinarily constrained to matters dealing with plants native to North America. So, yuccas are native to North America but not to England. However, we can probably help you with your cat problem. Another member of the Mr. Smarty Plants Team shared this information in an effort to help you:

"My cat would eat the long skinny green fronds on my little palm tree and then throw up.  I took her to the vet and she told me that the palm itself was not toxic, but just that the plant fiber was indigestible and that's why she threw up.  I moved the palm outside and no more problems.  Of course, my cat is an indoor cat and I don't know where this person's cat lives.  If the yucca is inside, maybe she could move it outside. The Vet said that some cats like to chew on long skinny vegetation."

Bottom line: You need to separate the cat and the yucca. If the yucca can't survive outdoors, it will probably have to be sacrificed. Hope the kitty is all right.

Adam's needle
Yucca filamentosa

Pale-leaf yucca
Yucca pallida

Banana yucca
Yucca baccata