Mr. Smarty Plants - Protecting agave pups in San Antonio

Tuesday - April 23, 2013

From: San Antonio, TX
Topic: Propagation, Cacti and Succulents
Title: Protecting agave pups in San Antonio

QUESTION:

I would like to share the soon to happen bloom of two century plants on my property; they are sisters planted at the same time. I am sad to know they will die but will do all that I can to protect their pups.

ANSWER:

Congratulations! You are about to be treated to one of the great extravaganzas of the plant world. Here is a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer that will help you with some of the aftermath of the blooming. It, in turn, will refer you to yet another previous question with even more information on what comes after the stupendous blooms.

Havard's century plant
Agave havardiana

Parry's agave
Agave parryi

Century plant
Agave parryi ssp. parryi