Saturday - April 20, 2013

From: Topeka, KS
Title: Small shrubs for landscape in Kansas

I am intersted in small shrubs for the landscaping in front of our house located in Topeka,KS. Many of the shrubs I looked at are 5 foot in width in height. The plants will receive morning sun.

Please visit our Kansas Recommended page to find a list of plants that are native to Kansas and commerically available for landscaping.  You can use the NARROW YOUR SEARCH feature to search for shrubs of the size you want.   Choose "Shrub" from GENERAL APPEARANCE and the height you want under HEIGHT (IN FEET).  You can choose other criteria as well, if you wish.   I chose shrubs 1-3' and 3-6' and have the following recommendations:

Ceanothus americanus (New jersey tea)

Symphoricarpos orbiculatus (Coralberry)

Amorpha canescens (Leadplant)

I also did a search in our Native Plant Database using the COMBINATION SEARCH option and chose "Kansas" from Select State or Province and "Shrub" from General Appearance and the same height and found another one for you.   You should try these to searches yourself to see if you find anything else you like.

Rhus trilobata (Skunkbush sumac)   Here are photos and more information from Western New Mexico University.

New jersey tea
Ceanothus americanus

New jersey tea
Ceanothus americanus

Symphoricarpos orbiculatus

Amorpha canescens