Tuesday - December 29, 2009

From: Lake Charles, LA
Topic: Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Plants for southwest Louisiana courtyard

QUESTION:

Hi, I live in southwest Louisiana,very close to Texas. I would like to remove the grass in my townhome backyard (east sun exposure) and create a courtyard by adding pavers. However I am planning on keeping a few areas unpaved. I am looking for plants requiring low/no maintenance, having vertical roots, resistant to the humid heat and finally having a little bit of volume, airy. Thanks.

ANSWER:

First of all, I'm not sure what size/type plants you are looking for—shrubs? trees? herbaceous perennials?  grasses?—so, I am suggesting several plants of various sizes that grow in Calcasieu Parish.

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle).  This shrub/small tree survives well under many conditions and there are dwarf varieties available.

Sabal minor (dwarf palmetto)

Asplenium platyneuron (ebony spleenwort)

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Iris brevicaulis (zigzag iris)

Itea virginica (Virginia sweetspire)

Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis (common elderberry)

Yucca aloifolia (aloe yucca)

Cercis canadensis (eastern redbud)

Conoclinium coelestinum (blue mistflower)

Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland sea oats)

Muhlenbergia capillaris (hairawn muhly)

If none of these strikes your fancy, you can find a list of Recommended Louisiana species to choose from on our Recommended Species page.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery: