Saturday - January 12, 2013

From: Eatontown, NJ
Topic: Pruning, Trees
Title: Pruning Saucer Magnolia in Eatontown, NJ.

QUESTION:

Adult Saucer Magnolia (tulip tree). Branches were getting heavy to where they were ready to break. I pruned them back leaving 1 to 3 inch diameter cuts on many branches. Should I put something on the cuts or cover the cuts so that they don't rot?

ANSWER:

There are are 8 Magnolia species listed in our Native Plant Database , but Saucer Magnolia is not among them because it is a Hybrid.

These two links will tell you more about your plant.

about.com

missouribotanicalgarden.org

Painting the cuts on trees with pruning paint used to be highly recommended. Today, the tendency is to leave them unpainted. To learn more about pruning, check out these three links:

purdue.edu 

ces.ncsu.edu

washington.umd.edu