Friday - September 07, 2012

From: West Palm Beach, FL
Topic: Seeds and Seeding, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Source for book on Mimosa pudica from West Palm Beach FL

QUESTION:

Where can I find the TickleMe Plant Book -the guide for growing the sensitive plant mimosa pudica seeds?This is the plant that plays dead when touched.

ANSWER:

Here is a link to the Amazon.com site where the book you are interested in is sold.

Mimosa pudica is native to Central and South America and therefore is not in our Native Plant Database. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is dedicated to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which those plants grow naturally.

There are three plants with "sensitive plant" in their common names that are in our Native Plant Database. They are:

Chamaecrista fasciculata (Partridge pea)

Mimosa rupertiana (Eastern sensitive plant) - not native to Florida

Mimosa strigillosa (Powderpuff)

Partridge pea
Chamaecrista fasciculata

Eastern sensitive plant
Mimosa rupertiana

Powderpuff
Mimosa strigillosa