Mr. Smarty Plants - Tree for caliche soil in Cochise County, Arizona

Wednesday - August 15, 2012

From: Sierra Vista, AZ
Title: Tree for caliche soil in Cochise County, Arizona

QUESTION:

What trees will thrive in areas of moderate caliche soil in southeast Arizona? My property is at 4,200 feet of elevation. Thanks for your help

ANSWER:

The following trees will grow in clay and caliche soil and are native to Cochise County:

Acer grandidentatum (Big-toothed maple)

Chilopsis linearis (Desert willow)

Cupressus arizonica (Arizona cypress)

Quercus gambelii (Gambel oak)

You can see other possibilities by going to the Arizona Recommended page and using the NARROW YOUR SEARCH option to choose "Tree" from the General Appearance slot and reading the Soil Description given under GROWING CONDITIONS.

Bigtooth maple
Acer grandidentatum

Desert willow
Chilopsis linearis

Arizona cypress
Hesperocyparis arizonica

Gambel oak
Quercus gambelii