En EspaÑol

Sunday - July 22, 2012

From: Edinburg, TX
Topic: Propagation, Seeds and Seeding, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Need tips for planting wildflower seeds in pots in Edinburg, TX.

QUESTION:

Can you give me some tips for starting wildflower seeds in pots or trays, rather than outdoors? Is this even possible? Most instructions I have found are for seeding large areas. I want to get some plants started before I put them into my garden, but I am confused about the best time of year and "stratification" procedures.

ANSWER:

Of course its possible. Have you ever wondered where all of those potted plants that you see at the nurseries come from?

I have three sources of information that should help you get started.

"Propagating Plants from Seed" from  Washington State University

the answer from a previous question about moist stratification

"Plant Propagation from Seed" from Virginia Cooperative Extension