Tuesday - July 03, 2012

From: jacksonville, FL
Topic: Planting, Trees
Title: Need help with Tulip Tree in Jacksonville,Florida

I planted a 20 foot tall Tulip Tree last spring. The hole I dug was double the size of what the tree came in. The tree was doing well until we got tropical storm Debby. In the middle of the night the tree started to lean. I pushed it back in place and tied it up with rope and cut up water hose. Now everything is drying up all the leafs are turning brown and falling off. I was hoping you could tell me what I did wrong and what else I can do to help it. Thank you for your time!

The Tulip Tree Liriodendron tulipifera (Tuliptree) is a beautiful  tree, and should do well in Florida. More information about the tree can be found at Floridata.com.

When I hear about newly planted trees losing their leaves, transplant shock comes to mind. In this case, the problems of a new transplant were probably increased by the beating it took from Debby.

I am going to give you four links to sources that have information about transplanting trees, preventing transplant shock, and dealing with transplant shock.

Two of these are from Northscaping.com
    first year tree care  

10 tips to minimize trans.shock

From Clemson University

newly planted trees

From the University of Kentucky

transplanting trees and shrubs

Another suggestion is to contact the folks at the Duval County office of IFAS Cooperative Extension.

IFAS Extension  http://duval.ifas.ufl.edu/