En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Information on non-native caladiums from Austin

Thursday - June 21, 2012

Topic: Non-Natives, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Information on non-native caladiums from Austin

QUESTION:

Have you a leaflet on growing caladiums in the Austin area?

ANSWER:

The genus Caladium includes seven species, which are indigenous to Brazil and to neighboring areas of South America and Central America. They grow in open areas of the forest and on the banks of rivers and go dormant during the dry season. The wild plants grow to 15–35 inches tall, with leaves mostly 6-18 inches long and broad.

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is dedicated to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but also to the area in which those plants grow natively. So, would have no information on this plant either in our Native Plants Database or a pamphlet on their growth.

Here is an article from Dave's Garden on Family: Araceae, Genus: Caladium that should be of some help.