En EspaÑol

Tuesday - June 12, 2012

From: San Antonio, TX
Topic: Edible Plants
Title: Request for wild and edible plant information for Boy Scouts from San Antonio
Answered by: Barbara Medford and Jimmy Mills

QUESTION:

We are with the Boy Scouts. Is it possible for you to email me information on the Wild and Edible plants at the Government Canyon? WE are teaching our scouts on this subject right now. We have already taken them on many 10 and 15 mile hikes in the canyon. Thank you

ANSWER:

We have to admit we didn't know what or where Government Canyon is, but we found this website on its location and uses. There were several more websites on the facility, and we looked through all of them and never found any mention of lists of plants. The lists of plants we have are all plants native to North America, and the plants we grow onsite at the Wildflower Center are native to Texas. In our Special Collections section, we have this list of Edible Native Texas Plants at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. Since we are in Austin and you are in San Antonio, hopefully this will help.

Another member of the Mr. Smarty Plants team with a sharper eye than ours pointed out a previous Mr. Smarty Plants question that might help you even more than we did. We can't guarantee that any of the plants mentioned even grow in Government Canyon, but at least it's a start.