Wednesday - September 28, 2011

From: Beaumont, TX
Topic: Edible Plants
Title: Are the seeds of Amberique bean edible in Beaumont, TX

I found one of these growing in my yard. Strophostyles helvola (L.) Elliott Amberique-bean, Trailing fuzzybean. Are the bean pods edible? I read somewhere that they are. Thanks.

Mr. Smarty Plants was able to find three sources that indicate the seeds are edible, and that the roots were also used by Native Americans for food.

Ilinois Plant Information Network  scroll down to Human Relationship Data, and Human Factor Comments

Department of Anthropology Washington University St. Louis MO.

Wild Edibles of Missouri  scroll to page 8. There is even a recipe.