Mr. Smarty Plants - Non-native Coleus canina, animal detererrent

Friday - August 18, 2006

From: Ashalnd, KY
Title: Non-native Coleus canina, animal detererrent

QUESTION:

I had purchased a plant about 4 years ago at Lowes that I planted in my flower gardens that was a pet deterrent. I cannot remember the name of that plant now? I have spoke to Lowes and others and I am being told there is no such thing? I know there is? Do you know what that plant is called? Thank you.

ANSWER:

You probably bought a plant known as Scardy Cat! or Dog's Gone! or Bunnies Gone!—all the same plant, Coleus canina Sumcol 01 (synonym = Plectranthus caninus). The plant belongs to the Family Lamiaceae (Mint Family) and is a native of Africa. It has an odor that has been described as smelling like tomcat pee and has acquired the name in England of the Pee-off plant. Luckily, its smell is only evident to animals with more sensitive noses (cats, dogs, foxes, etc.) than humans. It is only offensive to humans if the plant is crushed or rubbed. You can read more about the product from scardy-cat.com

The cat-repellant.info web page has other suggestions for keeping cats away from forbidden areas.