Friday - June 05, 2009

From: Jacksonville, NC
Title: Ailing non-native red tip photinia

My red tips look like they are brittle and the leaves are spotted. What do I do?

Our expertise and focus here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America.  Red Tip Photinia (Photinia x fraseri) is not native to North America but has been used extensively as a landscape plant throughout the South.  This plant is especially susceptible to a fungus called entomosporium leaf spot.  We have had a similar question regarding an ailing photinia before and I will refer you to the answer to that question.