Thursday - March 30, 2006

From: Newnan, GA
Title: Non-native, non-invasive Thunbergia alata

I'm trying to find the proper name for Climbing Blackeyed Susan, or Blackeyed Susan Vine. We had one on a trellis and it was beautiful, but I'm told that it is an undesirable weed. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

The botanical name for the plant is Thunbergia alata. It is a native of East Africa. Although this plant is considered an environmental threat in Australia, I could not find it listed in the Invasive Plants of the Eastern United States database or any other database of invasives for North America.