Mr. Smarty Plants - Pool-side ornamentals for south Louisiana

Monday - May 07, 2012

From: Port Allen, LA
Topic: Ferns, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Pool-side ornamentals for south Louisiana

QUESTION:

We live in south Louisiana and are re-doing the plants around our pool. What are some low maintenance, small shrubs (flowering) or other ornamentals that would be good in this area?

ANSWER:

I can list quite a few suitable native plants for your area.  Since I do not know whether your pool is sunny or shady, you should read the info on each of my suggestions to determine whether it would suit your light conditions. 

First, a few shrubs.  Rhododendron canescens (Mountain azalea) will offer showy white flowers in spring, and Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon)(a dwarf variety) has bright red berries in winter.  Hamamelis virginiana (Witch hazel) flowers in winter, and Symphoricarpos orbiculatus (Coralberry) bears pink berries from fall into winter.

A vine worth considering for its late winter yellow flowers is Gelsemium sempervirens (Carolina jessamine).

Check the following list for native plants suited to your site:  Asclepias tuberosa (Butterflyweed), Athyrium filix-femina (Common ladyfern)Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland sea oats), Echinacea purpurea (Eastern purple coneflower), Hymenocallis caroliniana (Carolina spider-lily), Iris brevicaulis (Zigzag iris), Iris giganticaerulea (Blue flag). Liatris pycnostachya (Prairie blazing star), Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal flower), Penstemon murrayanus (Scarlet beardtongue), Polemonium carneum (Royal jacob's-ladder) and Viola pedata (Birdfoot violet).

Check the Louisiana Native Plant Society web site list of local suppliers of these and other native plants.  Also, this  web site lists some recommended non-native plants suited to Louisiana.