Mr. Smarty Plants - Can I move my Dwarf Orange tree from California to Florida?

Thursday - April 12, 2012

From: Valencia, CA
Topic: Non-Natives, Plant Laws, Trees
Title: Can I move my Dwarf Orange tree from California to Florida?
Answered by: Ray Mathews & Jimmy Mills

QUESTION:

I am moving from California to Florida and have a small dwarf orange tree. Can I bring it with me to Florida? Thanks!

ANSWER:

The dwarf orange tree is a common name for a plant that has several commercially grown species for home cultivation, but it is not in our Native Plant Database. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center's goal is conservation and sustainability of native plants.

Mr. Smarty Plants is assuming that you are asking this question because you are aware that California has a prohibition on bringing citrus fruit and plants into the state, and are wondering if Florida might have similar restrictions. Sadly for your dwarf orange tree, the answer is yes.

This Summary of Florida Plant Protection Regulations from the Florida Department of Agriculture lists the restrictions and tells of cases where there might be exceptions.

You may have to obtain another Dwarf Orange Tree once you get to Florida.